- To be, or not to be: that is the ask-thing:
- is't higher-thinking in the brain to bear
- the slings and arrows of outrageous dooming
- or to take weapons 'gainst a sea of bothers
- and by againstwork end them?...
- The firststuffs have their being as motes called unclefts. These are mighty small: one seedweight of waterstuff holds a tale of them like unto two followed by twenty-two naughts. Most unclefts link together to make what are called bulkbits. Thus, the waterstuff bulkbit bestands of two waterstuff unclefts, the sourstuff bulkbit of two sourstuff unclefts, and so on. (Some kinds, such as sunstuff, keep alone; others, such as iron, cling together in chills when in the fast standing; and there are yet more yokeways.) When unlike unclefts link in a bulkbit, they make bindings. Thus, water is a binding of two waterstuff unclefts with one sourstuff uncleft, while a bulkbit of one of the forestuffs making up flesh may have a thousand or more unclefts of these two firststuffs together with coalstuff and chokestuff.
이 글에서 앤더슨은 신조어를 만들거나("firststuff"), 옛 단어로 치환하거나("mote"), 원어의 조어법을 따라서 신조어를 만들거나(그리스어 atom, "나눌 수 없는 것"에서 "uncleft"), 독일어를 참고해 같은 원리로 단어를 만드는 등("수소"와 "산소"를 독일어 Wasserstoff, Sauerstoff을 참고해 "Waterstuff", "Sourstuff"으로 치환)하는 등의 방식으로 모자란 단어를 보충했다.
- firststuff (element): 원소
- mote (particle): 입자
- uncleft (atom): 원자
- seedweight (gram): 그램
- waterstuff (hydrogen): 수소
- bulkbit (molecule): 분자
- sunstuff (helium): 헬륨
- sourstuff (oxygen): 산소
- chill (crystal): 결정
- fast (solid): 고체
- flow(liquid): 액체
- aerof(gas): 기체
- standing (phase): 상태
- yokeway (bond): 결합
- forestuff (protein): 단백질
- coalstuff (carbon): 탄소
- chokestuff (nitrogen): 질소를 의미한다.
- Poul Anderson, "Uncleftish Beholding", Analog Science Fact / Science Fiction Magazine, mid-December 1989.
- (영어) 앵글리시 위키