Edsger Wybe Dijkstra
|출생||1930년 05월 11일|
|사망||2002년 8월 6일 (72세)|
|지도 교수||아드리안 판 베인하르덴(Adriaan van Wijngaarden)|
데이크스트라는 전산학이 아직 학문으로 완전하게 정립되지 않았던 시절에 전산학의 여러 분야에 걸쳐 많은 공헌을 했다. 그의 다방면에 걸친 업적은 다음과 같다.
- 데이크스트라 알고리즘을 개발하여 최단 경로 문제에 대한 학문적 연구를 시작했다.
- GOTO문을 사용하지 말 것을 주장했으며, 그의 주장은 1968년에 그의 논문 "GOTO문의 해로움"(Go To Statement Considered Harmful) 에 정리되었다.
- 세마포어에 대한 연구를 처음으로 시작하였다.
- Go To Statement Considered Harmful이라는 논문의 제목은 데이크스트라가 직접 지은 것이 아니라, 당시 편집장이었던 니클라우스 비르트가 지었다.
- Marateck, Samuel L. (1977). FORTRAN (Academic Press), p. 488
- Courtois, Pierre-Jacques (2008). Justifying the Dependability of Computer-based Systems: With Applications in Nuclear Engineering (Springer), p. 112
- Denning, Peter J.; Martell, Craig H. (2015). Great Principles of Computing (MIT Press), p. 157
- Birrell, N. D.; Ould, M. A. (1985). A Practical Handbook for Software Development (Cambridge University Press), p.181
- Haigh, Thomas (2010)
- Albin, Stephen T. (2003). The Art of Software Architecture: Design Methods and Techniques (Wiley Publishing, Inc.), p. 3
- 찰스 앤터니 리처드 호어 (2010년 10월 12일). “The 2010 Edsger W. Dijkstra Memorial Lecture: What Can We Learn from Edsger W. Dijkstra?”. Department of Computer Science, The University of Texas at Austin. 2015년 8월 12일에 확인함.
- Ryder, Barbara G.; Soffa, Mary Lou; Burnett, Margaret (2005). Impact of Software Engineering Research on Modern Programming Languages. ACM Transactions on Software Engineering and Methodology, Vol. 14, No. 4, October 2005, p. 431-477. "Of great influence to Pascal was Structured Programming, put forth by E. W. Dijkstra. This method of proceeding in a design would obliviously be greatly encouraged by the use of a structured programming language, a language with a set of constructs that could freely be combined and nested. The textual structure of a program should directly reflect its flow of control."
- 니클라우스 워스 (2008). A Brief History of Software Engineering. IEEE Annals of the History of Computing, vol.30, no. 3, July–September 2008, pp. 32–39. "In 1965 Dijkstra wrote his famous Notes on Structured Programming and declared programming as a discipline in contrast to a craft. Also in 1965 Hoare published an important paper about data structuring. These ideas had a profound influence on new programming language, in particular Pascal. Languages are the vehicles in which these ideas were to be expressed. Structured Programming became supported by a Structured programming languages]]."
- In his 2004 memoir, "A Programmer's Story: The Life of a Computer Pioneer", Brinch Hansen wrote that he used "Cooperating Sequential Processes" to guide his work implementing multiprogramming on the RC 4000, and described it saying, "One of the great works in computer programming, this masterpiece laid the conceptual foundation for concurrent programming."
- As Lamport (2002) wrote, "Edsger W. Dijkstra started the field of concurrent and distributed algorithms with his 1965 CACM paper "Solution of a Problem in Concurrent Programming Control", in which he first stated and solved the mutual exclusion problem. That paper is probably why Symposium on Principles of Distributed Computing exists; it certainly inspired most of my work."
- Lo Russo, Graziano (1997). “An Interview with A. Stepanov (Edizioni Infomedia srl.)”. STLport. 2015년 8월 30일에 확인함.
Alexander Stepanov: "...I also discovered books of two great computer scientists from whose work I learned the scientific foundation of my trade: Donald Knuth and Edsger Dijkstra. Knuth taught me the answers. Dijkstra taught me the questions. Time and time again I come back to their works for new insights."